Dry winter air can wreak havoc on your hair. From dull locks to split ends and static electricity, there’s plenty to guard against while you’re sitting in front of the fire or lobbing snowballs at your family. Healthy winter hair is easy when you follow our tips—especially if you start the winter treatments before the cold truly sets in.
Here are our best tips for healthy hair all winter long:
- Skip the bleach: You might already know that darker dyes are better for your hair. During the winter, choose a darker shade for your hair and skip the bleaching until spring or summer. You’ll notice less breakage, split ends, dullness and frizz.
- Shampoo less frequently: When you shampoo your hair, you strip out the oils that naturally moisturize your hair and scalp. That can dry it out and cause your scalp to become itchy. You might even develop dandruff. To combat this problem, space out your shampooing longer. This will allow the natural oils to prevent dryness and flakes. A high-quality dry shampoo and a great up-do will ensure your hair looks great even between washes.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment: Once per week, give your hair a deep conditioning treatment. Hair masks and heavy conditioners are a great way to help it retain moisture, without weighing your hair down. Leave the mask or conditioner on for a half hour to allow it to fully soak in.
- Try daily leave-in conditioner: For most people, a once-weekly deep conditioning will help, but you can still use some more moisture throughout the week. Try a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair soft and manageable. Avoid the roots. Apply the conditioner about halfway down the hair’s length and focus on the ends.
- Go natural: Heat styling tools are great for a night out, but consider skipping them more often in the wintertime. Heat dries and damages your hair, so going natural more often will help your hair look and feel great throughout the winter. When you do need to use a heat styling tool, make sure to use a heat protectant first.
- Use serums and oils at night: Finally, use serums and oils at night to boost your hair’s hydration. By applying them at night and washing your hair in the morning, you’ll give them plenty of time to soak in. Then you can wash them out in the morning for soft, clean hair that won’t dry out in the winter cold.
Winter is a good time to focus on treating yourself right—including your hair. By following these tips for healthy winter hair, you’ll be amazed at the difference you see. Instead of dull, dry and staticky hair, you’ll look like you just stepped out of the salon every day.
If you’re not sure which products are right for your specific hair type, ask an expert. The stylists at Claude Thomas Salon & Spa are happy to help. Call us today to book an appointment, or stop by to purchase products.
Categorised in: Hair Care