The shag hairstyle has a long history of going in and out of popularity. Now, it’s 2018 and the style is back once again, both in the forms of natural hairstyles and in hair extensions in Palatine, IL.
The style has its roots in rock and roll. When you think of rockers from the ‘70s, for example, you likely think of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Rod Stewart and David Bowie, all of whom rocked some pretty excellent shaggy ‘dos in their day. That’s not to mention others like Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne and more who kept the haircut alive in the latter part of the decade and into the 80s.
It wasn’t long before women began sporting the “shag” as well. Jane Fonda, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar and even Florence Henderson of the Brady Bunch all wore varying versions of the shag at some point. Many of today’s layered haircuts have their roots in the crazy shag hairstyles of the ‘70s and ‘80s.
Here are a few tips to help you rock the shag hairstyle in Palatine, IL once again this summer and beyond:
- Use squares and circles to visualize your style: Stylists often recommend you imagine fitting a ball into a big square box, which results in the top of the ball being visible just over the top of the box. You use square layers and round off the top with round layers, following the shape of the head. It’s not an easy concept to describe, but one that makes much more sense visually.
- Get a color with the cut: The haircut and style itself is nice, but you’ll get the most out of your new shag hairdo by adding some excellent color work to really add volume and highlights to your hair.
- Experiment: Many people are putting brand new spins on the classic shaggy haircut. Bobs have seen a resurgence in recent years, so you can play off that trend, creating a square bob that has a fairly heavy fringe, then adding layers, short to long, on the interior of the bob. This will create a shaggy, punk rock sort of look that will fit in great with today’s shag trends.
- Undercuts: Undercuts have also been popular among women in the last couple years, and when paired with the shag and various layering and disconnection styling tactics, it can produce some outstanding results that look modern and hip.
- Curls: If you have naturally curly hair, you can make those curls stand out even more by making sure the curls aren’t uniform. Try shaping them with a large iron and occasionally alternating the direction of the curls back and forth to create a more fluid and natural appearance.
These are just a few tips to help you achieve a modern, trendy appearance with your new shag hairstyle. For more information about choosing the best new haircut in Palatine, IL for your own personal style, we encourage you to contact Claude Thomas Salon & Spa.